Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Emptiness… and Fulfillment!

This week at my school, we were given a special opportunity to take part in a program with STARS. It was mainly about stopping bullying, kindness, and becoming less judgmental. It was a two day program that consisted of half of our grade going on one day and the other half going on the next. On the day we weren't in the program, we sat in teacher's classrooms and did "busy work" like copying definitions and doing worksheets on things we had known since like 3rd grade. I remember sitting in the classroom on Wednesday afternoon, after almost an hour of copying full dictionary definitions and writing sentences in silence, and the feeling I felt wasn't really bored. It was more "empty". I couldn't really understand why we were spending so much time copying definitions of words we had known for years. (I still don't, by the way) And so, as I sat there in silence staring at the clock and wondering how much longer I could really take the emptiness of the busy work, I came a realization about my faith.

One thing that's great about God, our Savior and Redeemer is his Holy gift of love. We never ever feel empty when we are filled with the joy of Christ. We can still feel sad, afraid, even sometimes a little bit alone, but we never feel empty. We are filled with emotion as we are filled with the gift of Jesus Christ. I know as a teenager it can be hard to pray. It may be finding time to pray that's difficult, or even just the actual prayer itself. We've all had those moments where we really couldn't concentrate and we felt like we were just talking to the ceiling when we prayed. Sometimes we think our prayers should be answered sooner or in a different way. I know there have been times when I asked God for guidance, and it seemed that He just never answered. But looking back, I really see that it was me who never found the answer. Prayer is a conversation with God. You can't just ask God for guidance then wait for the heavens to open up and you to hear his voice coming from a burning bush. That's just not how things usually happen these days (not to say they couldn't, it's just not every day that we witness these). So when you search for God's call, when you search for a purpose or guidance in your life, stay open and listen. Listen to what Jesus is telling you. True prayer is a two way conversation, not a monologue.

So back to the subject of emptiness…. If you feel empty in your prayer life, take the time to embrace Jesus. With Christ's love and Christ's spirit, you'll never feel empty in faith. Fulfillment is a great thing. Whenever prophecies were fulfilled in the New Testament, it was a great thing. In our lives, the fulfillment will be our ultimate goal: Salvation. So stay open to God's call and work towards the goal of fulfillment in your life: Salvation in Jesus Christ. We've never been to heaven, but just from reading the words of our Lord, we know that its well worth the wait and struggles of our lives.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Avery!
    When I pray I often get distracted and feel like I am not really praying. I want to pray every morning and every night at least, but sometimes I just forget about it. I tried making sticky notes, 2do2day lists etc., but it doesn't work. I am just so distracted! Do you have any ideas?
    God bless.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,
    Check out the most recent post, it may give you some ideas about prayer. But trust me, I can totally relate. Prayer can be a tough thing! But the great thing is, God is with us through it. He loves us and desires to have a relationship with us. One suggestion I have is reading the Bible as prayer. I have a handout about that on the mass readings page of the website, but what I mean by that is praying a reading rather than just reading it. Another suggestion that my Religious Ed teacher always talks about is imagining your prayer as a conversation. Imagine walking into a room, something comfortable, and Jesus sitting there. Imagine talking to Him.

    Also, try using the "Five Finger Prayer" method. When you fold your hands, the thumb is nearest you. So begin by praying for those closest to you—your loved ones (Philippians 1:3-5).
    The index finger is the pointer. Pray for those who teach—Bible teachers and preachers, and those who teach children (1 Thessalonians 5:25).
    The next finger is the tallest. It reminds you to pray for those in authority over you—national and local leaders, and your supervisor at work (1 Timothy 2:1-2).
    The fourth finger is usually the weakest. Pray for those who are in trouble or who are suffering (James 5:13-16).
    Then comes your little finger. It reminds you of your smallness in relation to God's greatness. Ask Him to supply your needs (Philippians 4:6,19).

    I hope this helps!
    God Bless,
    Avery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Avery!
    That "Five Finger Prayer" sounds cool.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!