Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

God, my favorite color is green...

Reflecting on my prayer journal today, I started to think about prayer. Specifically, I thought about how my prayers change all the time. Well, that got me thinking about one time in specific, the first time I ever really prayed.

It all started on that chilly winter day in November. Well, most of it at least. I specifically remember it being cold because I was wearing my sister’s itchy hand-me-down sweater, the one with the polar bear on it. Our classroom was burning hot that day, and mom hadn’t let me get a donut after mass. I was hot, I was tired, I was hungry, and I had a cold. Basically, in my eyes, I was the most unhappy a six year old could be. I really didn’t want to be there. As lovely and quaint as little old room 136 was, there was so much else to do. Like color. Or play Barbies. The last thing I really wanted to do on this rainy November Sunday morning was put my sticker up on the attendance chart and recite my memory verse. Oh, and sit on the raggedy carpet squares that smelled funny. But Mom and Dad insisted. So I mentally told myself it would be okay and walked right up to that room to get my sticker. Little did I know, this day would change my life.

The topic of 1st grade Sunday school happened to be prayer that day. As I look back, I really have an appreciation for Mrs. Kathleen and Mrs. Debby, my teachers. I don’t know how I could possibly try to teach six year olds about spirituality. But they did. And they did it well. I remember my memory verse from that day. Actually, I remember it quite well. It is the signature on my emails, my favorite verse to meditate on, and the motto of my show. John 14:6

For I am the way, and the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.

Now at that time, it didn’t mean much to me. Reciting that verse was just another way to please the adults in my life (and get a Hershey’s kiss if I said it right). But back to the lesson that day.

Prayer. My teacher Ms. Kathleen wrote in on the board in big chalk letters. She asked us if any of us knew any prayers. I immediately raised my hand.

Bless us, O Lord! and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

I proudly recited my dinner prayer. Ms. Kathleen was pleased. “Now, Avery,” she asked “what does that prayer mean?” There, I was stumped. Yeah, I said it every day before every meal, but did I know what it meant? Not a clue. I mean, I was six. I always had wondered what a “bounty” was, and when exactly we were receiving it. It didn’t really make much sense to me. I stared at her. She smiled and explained that we were giving thanks for our food. I still was wondering what a bounty was. Then a girl in my class, Sarah, raised her hand to recite the Lord’s prayer. Ms. Kathleen, again, smiled and asked if anyone knew what the prayer really meant. She had a good point there. We all knew a bunch of prayers. Ask me for the Hail Mary, and I’d have given you the Hail Mary. Ask me for the Glory Be, and I’d have given you the Glory Be. But did I have any idea what I’m saying? Nope. Not one bit.

That was when she began talking about our personal relationship with God. She told us God was our friend and he would always be with us. We could tell him anything. She said we could even tell him our favorite color. We could tell him about our friends and our pets, and even our parents.

Well, that got me excited. I was excited to meet this God who was going to be my best friend. I was excited to meet this God who would always be with me. And I was really excited to tell God about my cats. I guess I had prayed before then, but it wasn’t real. Not tangible. Well, I went home that night and prayed. I uttered the most sincere prayer I could think of. “God,” I prayed, “Thank you for my life. I want to be your friend. And God, my favorite color is green.”

Now over the years after that, my prayer life has dramatically changed. Obviously I say more than thank you and what my favorite color is. I listen to God, and it isn’t all about my problems. But that day, that chilly November Sunday when I really didn’t want to be at Church, that was the day I learned to pray.


Just a little reflection for this week. Think back through your prayers. The ones we've said so many times that they sometimes can feel like they've lost meaning. I can tell you this, they haven't. So think through the prayers you say, you just may discover something cool. Oh, and don't forget to tell God your favorite color tonight. :)

Blessings,

Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!